Technically, no. Although the separation agreement may constitute a formal legal document, it is not technically legally binding when properly established by experienced lawyers. A separation agreement is not a court decision and the court is generally not involved in the establishment. But it is a contract – so it can be challenged in court in the same way as any other treaty. That is why it is important that it is properly written by a lawyer. If the judge is satisfied with the transaction, he will approve it and your financial transaction will become legally binding. If the judge feels that the agreement is not fair, he can amend the approval order to reflect that or issue a new court order that will determine how your finances should be separated. Financial arrangements are legally enforceable unless you can prove it: you can enter into a financial agreement on your property before, during or at the end of a relationship. This is a written document that shows how your property should be shared if you separate. It does not need to be approved by the court. However, we find that this is not always guaranteed for separation couples – and relationships can deteriorate, a partner changing their minds later! This is why it is useful to conclude a formal written agreement with the legal counsel. In fact, it`s going so well that you might think you don`t need to document the agreement.

We trust each other to stick to it – shouldn`t that be enough? Maybe you even wrote the agreement informally, and both signed it – it`s binding, isn`t it? It is also unlikely that the court will maintain a clause preventing either party from taking legal action to challenge the agreement. Financial compensation MUST be legally binding on both of you or, later, you may be in trouble with your ex-partner who is asserting financial rights against you. This means that any agreement you obtain must be written correctly and sent to the court as part of the divorce proceedings so that a judge can approve it and turn it into a legally binding court order. You do not have to go to court in most cases, but your lawyer sends the consent order to the court for approval. If you have a financial agreement, you can share your property in accordance with the agreement. You don`t have to go to court. If I were not a family lawyer, I would probably say that these situations are correct and that it would be a waste of time and money, or that it could frustrate an otherwise friendly situation if you involve a lawyer. But I am a lawyer, and if a client asks me these questions, the alarm bell would ring, and I must say that unfortunately, an oral agreement or an informal written agreement leaves you open to different risks. If there is a written order or agreement to support the 7:00 p.m.